A watercolor rendition of the Lamp on exhibit in the Irwin Council chambers
Activity on the Lamp Theatre project continues to snowball. Here’s what you need to know about the Lamp from tonight’s Irwin Council meeting:
- A preliminary budget was approved.
- The empty lot next door to the Lamp will hopefully become part of the property; Council needs to dot a few i’s and cross a few t’s first.
- A motion was approved to create an interim board of directors to oversee the project. More details to follow as positions are offered and accepted. I agreed to serve on the interim board as a representative of Relight The Lamp.
- Work has begun on the interior of the Lamp, specifically, the basement. Watch for Dumpsters soon.
- An Irwin property owner who was attending the meeting on other business went off on a tangent on the Lamp project. He acknowledged that there’s been a lot of indecision over whether Irwin borough should have stepped in to purchase the Lamp. “You probably shouldn’t’ve,” he warned, “…but I’m glad you did!” He went on to offer his services to the Lamp as a volunteer!
What to watch for:
New doors for the retails spaces and under the marquee are due for delivery & installation the week of July 24
New windows for the retail spaces are due for delivery & installation the week of August 4
In the meantime, we’re issuing a call for experienced demolition contractors to work on both the interior and the exterior of the Lamp. If that’s you or someone you know, email your contact information to us at relightthelamp (at) gmail (dot) com and to Kimberly Rose at karose1664 (at) me (dot) com.
If you’re the type that owns steel-toed boots, a tool belt, and a hard hat, you’re on deck.